Social skills are the abilities through which an individual communicates with another person or a group. This can be through verbal or non-verbal communication. The use of body language, gesture, and personal appearance are some of the social skills types. Every human being is a social creature. Thus, they developed a variety of ways through which they can commune among one another to transfer a message. There are several books for social skills in the market. One can easily develop such skills in themselves to socialize within a community. Some of you wish to know about social skills meaning.
For every parent, their child is the precious gift that they had received on earth. Naturally, they want their kid to stay happy always. Also, you hope each of your children’s desires to fulfill. But, some children cannot fit themselves in a community. It may be due to a lack of social skills in your child. Some of the kids are so communicative right from their young age. Thus, even if they are not vocal, their action helps them to fit in the community. Also, some of the kids do not develop communication skills. There must be someone who can guide him/her to develop proper social skills. For this, your kid needs to have more social contact.
Tips to improve a child’s social skills
It is the reason for the parent’s worry if their child is unable to communicate among the mass. Those children who have positive social skills can communicate and express everything they wish to do. But, the kids with timid nature fears to open up within the crowd. Only they will speak and communicate in front of their parents. There are some important steps that every parent must undertake to improve their prosaically skills. Also, the social skills training are vital here.
- Observe their interest- Each child is a different individual. Thus, they are unique in their thought process and interest. Parents cannot overlap the interest of two different kids. The responding social skills will come naturally when a kid does something in which they are interested. Just observe him/her about what exactly they are doing when they are in their leisure time. Is he watching any sport? Is she murmuring? This will make you bring out the actual picture of your kid’s interest. Now, you can socialize the kid with that particular interest in which he/she is interested. For example, boys loving sports must be admitted to a cricket or football learning group. Again, a small girl who is murmuring can be admitted to singing classes. Their social development can take place in such ways.
- Induce conversation with the child
Experts and child psychologist says that the children with an issue with proper conversation can become many introverts. Thus, every parent needs to keep this in mind. The social and emotional skills will only develop in your child if you keep on conversing with him or her. Since you are his/her mother or father, he/she will feel comfortable speaking to you instead of public exposure. Also, developmental skills can take place if your kid answers every question of yours not just with yes or no. Rather, the kid must say the full sentence and express his inner feelings to you. Most of the kid has social skill difficulties. To cope up with such an issue you have to help you kid by communicating throughout.
- Role-playing for kids
It is one of the great exercises that kids can adapt easily. Rather, every child is actions more than verbal words. All you have to do is you have to pretend to play with both the older as well as younger children. The kid with less social interactions can easily pick up the same. If your child is afraid of a person or fears to communicate with him, try out pretending like that person. Then your child will speak out something and you can know how and what your child feels about the individual. This will give rise to the development of his interpersonal skills.
You can ask your kid to act exactly in the way the other person act that your child fears. This is also one of the ways through which communication skills can develop among your kids. The social skills example is a vital phenomenon over here.
- Lessons on empathy
- A matured human being kids also must know about different types of feelings or emotions that are going on in the mind of other people with whom he/she is connected. Developing the fact of empathy among young children will make him much more responsible in the future towards his family and loved one. This is how your kid will learn how to get connected to other people with a bond of positivity. Often this feeling of empathy lags in younger children. It is the responsibility of the parents to make them understand what the other person is feeling.
- It is always better to make the younger and older children realize the fact of empathy through examples and illustrations. For example, if a person fell and gets hurt in his knees, make your child know that he got hurt. Thus, he needs to be picked up and given some first aid. This is one of the important teaches which even the school-age children must understand. This will help create positive bonds.
- Realize the limitation of your child
- a child cannot do everything. If one can sing well another can dance. This will be vice versa in various cases. Sometimes parents do not understand and scold the child for not doing a particular activity. This is where the limitation of your child lies. Every parent must understand what their child can do and what they cannot. A little help from parents can even teach them good manners. Sometimes social anxiety in some kids can lead to spoiling communication skills.
- We need to observe your kid closely on what he can do and what he cannot. When you see that even after several ties your kid is not in a state of picking up the particular activity, you must understand that his limitation lies right there. The social skills type is again a vital consideration.
- Behave like a good role model
- The kids tend to copy the elders. Thus, the child expert says that parents must say and act very cautiously in front of kids. They tend to pick the actions very quickly. If you use slangs or beat any of your family members there is a chance that your child will pick this negative habit. Always act positively so that if your kids watch at you, they get a good habit. Most of the kids regard their parents as their role models. You may also keep on speaking frequently so that your kids have effective communication.
If the parents think their kids are like a machine. They will pick up everything instantly as the parents’ wishes. But, the thing doing go around this way. Some kids may have intellect right from their birth. Thus, they might be able to pick up things easily. But, other kids lag such as catching up skills. You must encourage them to boost their normal developmental skills.
- Encourage eye contact
- Eye contact is one of the most important things that you must teach to your kid. This is one of the tips through which they can learn the necessary social skills. When your child is speaking to someone, ask him or her to have constant eye contact with the person to whom your kid is speaking. This will draw the entire attention of the person on your child. As a result, effective communication can easily take place. But, kids may not develop this thing in a single day. Thus, It is always important for you to make your child do this practice every day.
- It can be started with games. The storytelling games will be one of the best ways to establish the eye to eye contact. This will be effective for children belonging to early to middle elementary school.
- Encourage friendship
- If the parents are so possessive about their children that they do not allow their child to play, communicate or have interact with other kids. But, this will lead to barriers to communication and disrupt social skills. The prime duty of the parents will be to encourage friendships. The younger generation needs support to develop social skills and open up their mind to the rest of the world. It is time for you to step forward in getting the flawless interaction of your child with other children of the same age group. This will give rise to positive peer interactions. Setting up the
- Let them be aware of emotions
- The kids are very intelligent and can catch emotions like happy, sad, anger, etc by themselves. But, few kids do take time in this. The parents must make them aware of their emotions. Also, small talk with them will induce positive communications. The other emotions that you can make your kid aware just after the few basic emotions are anger, tiredness, excitement, disappointment, weirdness, nervousness, etc.
- Your kid is aware of the emotions; they can express more within social situations. Also, the parents must inform the kids about what they exactly feel. For example, if they misbehave you must make them understand that with their behavior you are not happy. This will make them a good communicator. Also, tell them some of the social stories.
- Give them the freedom
- Each of the children, psychologists have the opinion that every child must be given the freedom to speak and gel along in an environment. This is how his social skill deficits will go away. If you have a single child, he/she may feel awkward due to a lack of community with the same age group. Thus, you have to take your kid outside in such a place where he/she can meet children of the same age. It can be a children’s park, dance class, singing class, creative class, etc. If they find children of the same group interacting, he/she will also do the same. This will act as a social stimulus.
- There are many children who find it difficult to read, speak or express what they feel. Thus, it is always important to engage them in various activities. The hobby classes and sports activities will be one of the best ways to stay away from social isolation. As soon as your kid mingle with other kids or same age or also the adults whom they have come to like, their interpersonal skill will easily develop.
Some deeper thought about the social skills
Social skill is really important for every human being. It is just due to the reason that we all are social beings. Thus, children are not an exception. Most of the children don’t understand some emotional feelings. Also, they speak less when they are in a social gathering. But, that does not mean that your kid is abnormal. They are normal but just a few initiatives can bring them proper light. Soon they develop a better understanding. Even if they are comfortable in short talk initiation that is not a reason to worry at all. Good communication channels will always boost up their interpersonal; skills. Let us go through some deeper thoughts about it.
Explanation of personal space
- Young children cannot realize the personal space of each individual whom they meet or communicate. The parents must make their kids understand the following facts:
- Parents must their kids aware that the personal space of every person may not be equal. Rather, it may vary from one individual to another. This may depend on the culture, society and the ancestral influence on the particular person. For example, teenagers and younger children may be comfortable socializing. Such that they love to hug, hands shake, etc. But, some people with middle age or higher age groups may simply wish to have some personal space. In such a situation, the kids should not disturb if they don’t like it.
- Reading body language is another important factor through which you must make your kiddo. Make your kid aware of the actions and the posture of people and the meaning of the same. This will help your kids to avoid the awkward social moment.
- The entitlements of the kids own personal space is another important consideration. If any stranger wishes to hug them, touch them or wish to do anything mischief, your kids have the sole right to stop it. Having a personal space means no one can touch them or their body without their permission. Some of the social issues can be removed with this technique.
- If any elder within their relatives or some well-wisher hug them without any unfavorable intention, your children must repeat the same thing with the person who did the same.
Ways to develop a conversation
- Kids may not know about the conversation nor will they know how to converse. What are positive conversations and negative must be an important fact to understand? Just serving educational purposes may not be enough. Your kids need to be vocal and comfortable in certain social settings. Following are the tips to carry on with a conversation:
- Entering the conversation is the first step of the teaching that you must teach your child. The greetings are going to be an important part of starting a conversation. This will include: hello, how are you, etc. Some social cues such as smiling, handshaking, nodding, etc are important at this stage.
- There are some manners you must make your kid know while staying in a conversation. One of the important things is to wait for the time till his/her turn comes for the conversation. Some kids studying in middle school also lags here. It is very important to note that your kid should not interrupt in the middle of the conversation when someone is speaking. Also, it is equally important to listen carefully when another person is speaking.
- Another important fact that you must make your children do is to be assertive while speaking to the people around them. It is always good to stay away from aggression and be polite while speaking to everyone. Also, teach your child the difference between the assertive sentence and the one with direction. This is going to be very beneficial when your child attends social events.
Basic manners to children
- all children may understand the manners right from his or her birth. Thus, when a manner less child gets along with other people in society they get some negative remarks. To save your child from such issues, you have to teach a few simple and useful manners.
- Tell your child how to greet a person when he or she gives you something. Also, if the person has done something good for you, the same thing should be said. Yes, that’s nothing but the golden lettered word, ‘Thank You’.
- Again when your child does something wrong, such as taking something from anyone’s pocket unknowingly or pushing someone that resulted in falling, he/she must say ‘ sorry’. This will signify the positive attention of an individual.
- Also, teach them or make them know about the situations when they say excuse me. When your kid is in a group and needs anybody’s attention within the group, the best way is to say, ‘excuse me’. There are many books for social skills. You can read and understand it better.
These are the minimum courtesy that your kid must follow and abide by to gain the social status.
Expressing wants and needs
- Your kid must have the willingness to get something. This is the situation when they need to express. Few kids are introverted. Thus, they cannot say or express anything by themselves. For example, your daughter may say that her elder brother is not giving her the ball. The tone of communication over here is in a complaining tone. Here, the girl child is complaining just because she needs the ball. The parent here must play a vital role. They must cite the social skill example and teach them the way through which they can easily express what they want.
- The parents must teach the children to stay up front with the people around. Usually, the behaviors make it uncomfortable. There are situations when the preschool child keeps on hitting and kicking the elders. This is not a good habit. They do this as they want something and no one is giving them the same. In such a situation, parents must make them understand. If they have special needs, fulfillment can be done if there is no harm.
- Watch your kids carefully on what they are doing. Their attitude is important to watch to find out what they want. If required, you can give them personal space. If your child cannot express what is his/her needs, ask them as much as possible.
The ways to improve the social skills of the kids also involve the mental health of your child. The younger child has a very sharp mind. Thus, they can pick up things very quickly. Parents must not do something negative in front of the kid as there is a tendency for the kids to imitate. Acting as a positive role model is an important consideration to make your kid a good role model. It is always good to avoid the awkward interaction with the kids. Good eye contact will become an added advantage especially when your kid is quite mature to speak to the other person or the kids with the same age group. If your kid cannot speak well, speech therapy is important. The social skill training is initiated today to make your kids much capable. The content has explained the facts on how to improve social skills.